Visit https://podnews.net/update/liar for all the links, and to get our newsletter.
Can you help us grow? So far in October, we’ve welcomed 293 new subscribers from companies like Spotify, NPR, Pandora, Nova Entertainment, the Washington Post, TED, the BBC and Veritone. At the time of writing, we’re on 24,963 subscribers. We’d quite like to be 25,000 by the end of this week, because that’s a nicer number. Can you help by mentioning us on your favourite social networking platform, or telling your colleagues? We’ll be your friend for life.
- Podcaster Alex Jones has been told to pay $964.2m in damages after repeatedly telling harmful lies. Alex Jones’s show Infowars was removed from Apple, Spotify, YouTube and Facebook in 2018 for promoting violence and hate speech, though is still available via RSS. He’s indicated he’ll appeal; his company has filed for bankruptcy.
- First look: In Canada, sports media company Playmaker has signed a monetisation and distribution deal with Acast.
- Stats from the Google Podcasts Manager seemed to have frozen on Sep 28, according to a number of readers. We alerted Google, who tell us it’s now been fixed. (While Google’s play numbers are low, the SEO advice it gives is helpful: here’s where to claim your feed.)
Classifieds – your job or ad here
Subscribe to The Newcastle Witches Podcast Today! — We are The Newcastle Witches. We are on a journey to uncover how these murders took place, investigating what caused people to hunt and murder innocents in the name of Witchcraft.
FOR SALE: PODCAST STARTUP & PODCAST ASSETS — 120k monthly unique website visitors | iOS podcast player | Individual popularity & best episodes of a 1mil+ podcast | 300k+ guest appearance profiles | EMAIL ME: email@example.com
Business & Legal Fundamentals For Podcast Growth & — What if getting the “legal stuff” for your podcast was fast, easy and do-it-yourself-able?
Join The Podcast Lawyer™ Gordon Firemark for this free online workshop. August 16th 9am PDT
Join WITF Productions’ Digital Team — WITF is seeking a Digital Creative Director to guide the creation and design of original content for our new digital strategy. Apply today!
- Want to speak at Podcast Movement Evolutions in Las Vegas? You’ve until Fri Oct 28.
- Brain Bump is a new app that helps people retain ideas from books and podcasts.
- Live365 streaming stations will now be able to be distributed to 30 million listeners on TuneIn. Live365 deals with music licensing and monetisation; the company’s owner, SoundStack, was launched in April and also sells podcast ads.
- Podvine, a hosting platform and player, shared an investor update. The company’s podcast hosting platform is achieving 3.2m downloads monthly.
If you work in podcasting—or call the shots on your own podcast—you’ll benefit from this full day of specialist panels, stage sessions and keynote speakers. All included for $55.
Oh, and the networking. The heartbeat of a podcasting event!
Discussion points include the future of podcasting and…
- Gen Z
- in-car listening
- getting discovered
- the value of ad tech
- ‘how to’ on podcast networks
- and spotlights on creators who do it differently
10am – 5pm, Wednesday 19th October. Hosted at Javits Center in New York. Learn more and buy your tickets to Podcast Futures today
- Fyona Smith, formerly Head of Radio & Podcasting for AFTRS, is moving to Ireland to be Managing Editor for Today FM.
Tips and Tricks
- Writing about Podcasting’s paradox of choice, Steven Goldstein suggests making your show easily scannable by getting the description right.
- Want to become a podcast editor? Podbean is running a free online event on Thu Oct 20.
- From Lemonada Media: Raised by Ricki looks back on and re-examines the groundbreaking Ricki Lake Show. Hosted by award-winning talk show host Ricki Lake and television personality and digital creator Kalen Allen.
- Proper Australians wear R.M.Williams every day (and so does our Editor even if he’s just a pom). R.M.Williams OUTBACK Great Australians is hosted by OUTBACK Senior Associate Editor Terri Cowley, and has in-depth interviews with some great Australians away from the bright lights of Australia’s cities.
- Surviving El Chapo: The Twins Who Brought Down A Drug Lord is new today from Lionsgate Sound, G-Unit Audio and iHeartPodcasts. Speaking publicly for the first time ever with co-hosts Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson and investigative journalist Charlie Webster, Chicago-born identical twins Jay and Peter Flores let listeners into how they went from dealing $2 billion worth of drugs to government informants who brought down the infamous drug lord, “El Chapo.” The trailer is available now.
- Avery Trufleman’s Articles of Interest is back for a new season, called American Ivy. “I was only planning on making one episode devoted to preppy clothing,” says Trufelman. “But, this story ended up being so surprising, so impactful, and so resonant, that it changed my entire idea of what trends are and why they spread.” The seven-part season starts on Oct 26.
Podcast ads (kind of) in the wild
Pod Bible magazine issue #23 (read it here) has a very excellent page 25. Sponsored by Audible and Acast, it’s 36 pages of excellent podcasts, and half a page of hastily laid-out advertisement for your favourite daily podcast newsletter.
Gold supporters: Buzzsprout, Mowpod, Mamamia, Resonate Recordings, PodOps, SALT, audioBoom, Cohost, Simplecast, Callin, Paramount, Podvine, Riverside.fm, Jar Audio, Spreaker, Podchaser, Awesound, The Roost, Knit, Evergreen Podcasts, TED Audio Collective, Podpage websites, We Edit Podcasts, Disctopia, Knucklehead Media Group, Luminary, Acast, Podmetrics, Megaphone, One of One Productions Podcast S, Focusrite, LWC Studios, ElasticPod, Engle, ART19, Podbean, Adonde Media
Silver supporters: Storic Media, Veritonic, Podcode, Storyboard, Jonekiri, Rococo Punch, Cloud10, Osiris Media, Gumball, Terra Firma Audio, Polymash, Omny Studio, Message Heard, SoundMedia, Bullhorn, Podscribe, Health Podcast Network, Julep Hosting, Julep Podcast Marketing, Podcastpage, Castos, Cleanvoice, Lemonada Media, Ossa Collective, Maps.fm, RockWater Industries, Optimal Living Daily, matchmaker.fm, SPI, Heartcast Media50, Castbox, Whooshkaa, Pacific Content, Sonic Influencer Marketing, Blubrry, Notetracks, Podcast Taxi, Diversion Podcasts, Hindenburg, NPR, Wondery, Podcast Ad Report, The Podcast Engineer, Latina Podcasters Network, Headliner, Rephonic, Oxford Road, Glisten Media Podcast Production, Zvook, Jam Street Media, Transistor, Kast Media, Transmitter Media, 18sixty, Double Elvis Productions, Barevalue, Podcast Guests, Bababam, Know or Not? Podcast Network, StreamGuys, Ad Results Media, Chartable, EverythingWithPodcasting, Content10x, Podcast Partnership, Rachel Corbett\s Podschool, DAX, She Podcasts, Cleanfeed, Stakhanov, <a href="http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/podnews?utm_